Dowry Facts -
1) - MNC - Multi National Company.
2) - Section 498A of Indian Penal Code - Whoever, being the husband or the relative of the husband of a woman, subjects such woman to cruelty shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine.
Explanation-For the purpose of this section, "cruelty" means-
(a) Any willful conduct which is of such a nature as is likely to drive the woman to commit suicide or to cause grave injury or danger to life, limb or health whether mental or physical) of the woman; or
(b) Harassment of the woman where such harassment is with a view to coercing her or any person related to her to meet any unlawful demand for any property or valuable security or is on account of failure by her or any person related to her meet such demand.]
3) - Plus there is IPC Section 304B and if death of a married woman does "not occur under normal circumstances", within seven years of her marriage. Whoever commits dowry death is required to be punished with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than seven years but which may extend to imprisonment for life. Many times a suicide or accident turn into "Dowry Death", thanks to many families who thinks there was nothing wrong with their daughters, sisters.
4) - Section 302 of Indian Penal Code - Whoever commits murder shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life and shall also be liable to fine.
5) - There are thousands of registered N.G.O (Non Governmental Organization)for the upliftment of females in India plus Government Departments and of course a full fledged "Mahila Aayog" a semi ministry for women. They have to do something...they do...they frame stats, surveys, etc and publish them everywhere to negative-generalize "all" men and glorify "all" women. In the process they suppress the reports of false accusation of crime against women. Men involved in crime against women in even 10 years is less then 2% of the total more than 520 Millions Indian men and in 10 years millions are added to the adult population.
6) - About the Misuse of Anti-Dowry Act.
Your wife/daughter-in-law who's demands are not met can make a written false complaint of dowry harassment to a nearby police station. The husband, his old parents and relatives are immediately arrested without sufficient investigation and put behind bars on a non-bailable terms. Even if the complaint is false, you shall be presumed guilty until you prove that you are innocent.
498a can only be invoked by wife/daughter-in-law or her relative. Most cases where Sec 498A is invoked turn out to be false (as repeatedly accepted by High Courts and Supreme Court in India) as they are mere blackmail attempts by the wife (or her close relatives) when faced with a strained marriage. In most cases 498a complaint is followed by the demand of huge amount of money (extortion) to settle the case out of the court. This section is non-bailable(you have to appear in court and get bail from the judge), non-compoundable (complaint can't be withdrawn) and cognizable (register and investigate the complaint, although in practice most of the time arrest happens before investigation).
There have been countless instances where, without any investigation, the police has arrested elderly parents, unmarried sisters, pregnant sister-in-laws and even 3 year old children. In these cases unsuspecting family of husband has to go through a lot of mental torture and harassment by the corrupt Indian legal system. A typical case goes on for years (5-7 years is typical) and the conviction rate is about 2% only. Some accused parents, sisters and even husbands have committed suicide after time in jail.